What do you do after surgery when you are advised to?
· Only have cold drinks on the day of surgery. Avoid hot drinks, alcohol and hot or spicy food.
· Eat soft foods for the next several days
You do not need to fall off the health wagon when you go through surgery.
Although eating meals may be a challenge for the first few days, try to continue to eat nourishing food. You will heal faster and have more energy. Try choosing softer foods and chew away from the implant or surgery site. It is best to avoid foods such as popcorn, seeds or seeded fruit, as they can get stuck and cause infection. Generally, most patients can return to a normal diet after seven to ten days. Healthy lifestyle choices are essential to successful healing. The healing process can be impaired by a poor diet and excessive alcohol consumption. If you want to speed up your healing time, try to eat a highly nutrient dense diet.
Keep in mind that each surgery is different and you should follow your dentist’s post-operative instructions regarding what is acceptable to eat. Some surgeries require a patient to be on a liquid diet for so long and then progress to soft foods.
When you return to your dentist for a recheck, don’t be surprised if she or he mentions how quickly you’ve healed;
Here are some ideas of how to stay healthy after dental surgery. For the days you must have cold to reduce swelling, eat them directly from the fridge or freezer. When you are allowed to start having warm but soft, either eat them room temp or slightly heated.
· Good old scrambled eggs – they are soft and can be eaten cold or lukewarm
· Sweet potato with avocado – mash them to make them easier to eat. Don’t mash them together. Rather mash them separately and then eat the together.
· Coconut yoghurt – unflavored to avoid seeds from fruit
· Coconut Water
· Coconut Smoothie – Harmless Harvest is my favorite
· Coconut Milk
· Carrot or butternut squash soup plus cooked chicken – puree the whole lot
· As much bone soup as you can consume to help your body heal after surgery. You can drink them cold on the days you are only allowed cold
· Blend up any casseroles or stews
· Instant Pot chicken veggie soup – blend in vitamix after cooking
· Egg drop soup (chicken broth, spices, drizzle in beaten eggs)
· Chinese Egg Custard Tofu https://iheartumami.com/paleo-keto-egg-custard-tofu/
· Pureed vegetables – potato mashed with carrots or green beans or broccoli. If you need a nightshade free option, use sweet potato or boiled yuca
· Avocado based smoothies with cooked vegetables and fruit
· Slow cook sweet potatoes and fruits of choice – the fruit juices will release and when pureed, the resulting mixture is richly textured, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin pie spice blends, etc make it taste like pumpkin or sweet potatoe pie
· Fish – soft flaky fish like Barramundi, or sole. You barely need to mouth them in order to eat them.
· Tuna Salad – mayo, green onion, and S&P to a can of tuna is effortless).
· Frozen popsicles – good pops popsicles
· Frozen banana – throw it in a blender before eating
· 3 ingredient home made jello – https://www.onelovelylife.com/healthy-homemade-jello/ or https://detoxinista.com/homemade-jello/
Remember – don’t use any straws to drink your food.